If you love writing, you can make it as a full-time career. Unlike in the past, it’s now possible to earn a good flow of income by becoming a writer because of digital technology. While automated machines or software programs are now available, nothing can still mimic human intelligence in formulating good content, and the demand for writers is increasingly growing. Writers are in-demand to create web content and digital products for both e-commerce and physically established businesses.
In this post, you’ll learn how to turn your passion for writing as a career.
Step 1: Get Certified
You probably know your niche and writing skills, but these things are not enough to make money in the writing industry. You have to be abreast with the latest demands and specific skills required when writing content by continuously improving yourself and getting certified, such as taking a business writing certification.
By learning how to integrate digital marketing technology to writing content, you’ll open more opportunities for yourself because writers are urgently needed in creating web content and digital products. Also, you can work as a freelance or independent contractor for an SEO agency or digital marketing agency.
Here are the benefits of getting certified:
- Build your credibility
- Improve your CV
- Increase your self-confidence
Step 2: Learn How to Use Writing Tools
In the past, writers use pen and paper to create content. Time has changed. Today, writers use computers and software programs or applications. Online tools can make your life a lot easier so you won’t need to go to the public library to research, manually count words in the article you’ve written, or check your spelling and grammar.
Here are some of the online tools you can use when writing:
- Grammar checker, like Grammarly, can help you check and correct spelling and grammar issues.
- Word counters, such as WordCounter.net, can help you count the number of words you’ve written in an article or blog, which is helpful when clients require a specific number of words.
- SEO tools, like LSIGraph, can help you find relevant keywords you can use for optimizing the content to help the website rank in search engines.
Step 3: Gain Experience
Since you now understand that writers are in-demand to create web content, it’s time to gain the necessary experience you’ll need to become a good web content writer. You’ll find a lot of job portals available for writers. Be prepared with your resume or CV. Make sure you’ve indicated all your work experience as a writer, including when you were an editor or writer in high school. Don’t forget to attach a sample of your recent written article or blog.
Here are some online platforms you can try to seek writing jobs from:
Step 4: Create a Website
When you’re already working as a freelance writer or an independent contractor, you can take your career to the next level. But first, you need to create a website to showcase your portfolio, and tell prospective clients more about yourself and your achievements. It’s a way to promote yourself and your writing services best so that you can acquire more clients.
Step 5: Make It Your Business
You can take your writing career to the next level by making it your business. When you have enough clients to start with, you can hire new writers and run a small digital marketing agency specializing in SEO and content marketing.
Here are the things you need to know before starting a writing business:
- Upgrade your website into a business-type website.
- Know how to use spreadsheets, time trackers, calendar trackers, and other management tools for meeting deadlines, supervising your writers, and performing other business operations.
- Know how to invoice your clients and pay your writers by using services like Paypal or Payoneer.
- Determine the type of writing services you’ll be offering to your clients.
- If you want to put up a digital marketing agency in the future, you might as well comply with mandated laws, such as making your business as an LLC or S-Corp for your security.
- Promote your business through different online channels, like social media, online job portals, and online classified ads.
You don’t have to leave the comfort of your home to earn a good income as a writer. By using a computer and having a stable and fast internet connection, you can start building your career and pursuing your passion at the same time. Always remember to continue learning and improving your skills to remain competitive.