Scientists have proven that sleeping has a lot of health benefits. Sleeping is a natural state wherein the body rests, and the consciousness is altered. The voluntary muscles and sensory activities are also inhibited, and it is also characterized by a reduced interaction with the real world. Sleeping is important, comparable to eating a balanced and healthy diet, as well as doing a daily exercise routine. However, with the changes in lifestyle, Western society is slowly forgetting the benefits of keeping a natural sleeping pattern. Based on recent studies, more people are becoming sleep deprived, and the quality of sleep has drastically decreased. This trend alarmed doctors around the world, and they kept on reminding the people that they should sleep well every night, because of its many health benefits. Here are some of the top benefits of sleep, and how it affects your overall health.
- People who sleep well would have a lower chance of gaining additional weight. A poor sleeping pattern would result to increase in weight gain, and this has been proven by scientists. Shorter sleep durations have become one of the causes of the obesity epidemic around the world, and those who have a shorter sleeping time would have a 55% to 89% to become overweight, or obese. Motivation to exercise and hormones would also affect weight gain, and it is highly disturbing when someone does not sleep well.
- Having a good night’s sleep would also allow someone to eat foods with lesser calories. Those who have experienced sleep deprivation has a higher chance of developing a bigger appetite, and as a result, more calories would be generated. Poor appetite regulation can also be traced back to sleep-deprived individuals, and they would develop an urge to eat more once they started feeling hungry. This is a dangerous trend, especially if someone is already experiencing problems with gaining too much weight.
- For those who are sleeping soundly at night, their productivity and concentration would greatly increase. Sleeping makes the brain more powerful, and it would improve one’s brain function. Performance, productivity, concentration, and cognition are among the traits that can be improved with better sleep. When someone is sleep deprived, these traits are highly affected, and one would notice that their body is not cooperating to how they want it to move. Those who have a complete sleep would develop more powerful minds, with enhanced memory performance and improved problem-solving skill.
- Athletes should also complete their sleeping cycle because it helps them improve their performance drastically. For basketball players, they managed to improve their accuracy, reaction times, and speed after they slept before a game. Elderly women who are not completing their sleeping patterns are more prone to experience difficulty moving around.
- People who sleep well would also develop a natural defense against stroke and heart disease. Sleeping soundly at night, with the help of comfortable mattresses, would enhance the capabilities of the heart, allowing it to pump more blood actively. People with heart disease have shown improvement with their health condition after they started to sleep on time, and accumulating at least seven to eight hours of rest. However, those who are not sleeping on time and continuously being sleep deprived have developed a higher chance to gain heart-related diseases.
- Diabetes and other diseases linked to an increase in blood sugar can also be prevented from becoming more serious if someone sleeps on time. People who are suffering from these types of diseases should consider going out once in a while and enjoy their time outside. Once they are tired, it would be easier to fall asleep, completing a whole cycle of resting.
- Depression can be prevented if someone is sleeping on time. According to research, 90% of those who are diagnosed with depression are complaining about difficulties in sleeping. Psychologists and other specialists in the field of mental health have recommended sleeping for seven to eight hours and advised their patients to see if there is an improvement. Those who have followed the advice from the experts have noticed that there is an improvement with their mood after they slept for more than seven hours.
- The immune function of the body would also have time to recover if someone would complete their sleeping pattern. Sleep deprivation greatly affects the immune system.