Psychographics is a digital marketing concept that aims to divide a target market into groups according to their lifestyle or psychological characteristics in order to understand why consumers are choosing a particular product or service over another. Both demographics and psychographics make up the characteristics of your target market, however the impact of psychographics should not be underestimated and should never be ignored.
Every marketer wants to determine what marketing messages will match their target market’s values in life. Knowing who your customer is, what they love and what they hate and where they are is key to successfully engaging your target market. If you want to understand your potential target market better then completing a digital marketing course will help you achieve this.
Psychographic segmentation factors
Do you want to increase and maintain your target market share? Of course, you do! Psychographic segmentation, or behavioural segmentation, is one of the most important factors in a digital marketing campaign in order to successfully gain and maintain your market share.
All marketers want to understand their target market’s psychology, as well as their wants and needs, and carry out a number of marketing activities to better understand the psyche and habits of their target market.
Psychographic segmentation basically splits groups into segments based on their similar characteristics, which means you are able to get the right message to the right target market.
Types of segmentation
It is possible to group your target market together by any characteristic, however the following four segments are considered the most beneficial.
- Demographic segmentation – This is a classic type of segmentation that divides your target market by age, gender, occupation, income, race, religion and family size.
- Psychographic segmentation – Behaviour plays a big part in psychographic segmentation and looks more closely into your target market’s lifestyle and opinions. Understanding the lifestyle choices of your target market means you can customise your digital marketing campaigns.
- Behavioural segmentation – This option divides your target market by their buying behaviour as a consumer.
- Geographic segmentation – Grouping people based on where they live is referred to as geographic segmentation and your target market will have different needs based on where they live.
The psychographics progression
Driven by technological advances, today the digital marketing platform effectively provides a continuous feedback of marketing campaigns to the marketers. Implementing psychographic targeting in your digital marketing can more accurately connect you to your target market, based on the variables related to the individual customer’s lifestyle.
Psychographic targeting factors
There can be many factors to take into account when using psychographic targeting in your digital marketing campaign, which can vary across different industries.
Here are a few most popular factors:
- Attitudes and values – An individual’s attitude towards your digital marketing campaign will accurately reflect their experiences and their values.
- Social status – The end goal of your digital marketing strategy is to reach and convince the decision maker to buy your product or service. Social status should be taken into account when trying to connect with the purchasing power.
- Personality – Insight into consumer personality traits is an important factor when undertaking psychographic segmenting.
- Interests and activities – Knowing your target market’s hobbies and interests will help your digital marketing efforts. Being aware of this can boost your connection rate with your target market.
- Motivations – You will want to know what really motivates your target market to purchase your product or service in order to get them to act on your call-to-action.
- Lifestyle – Determining a consumer’s lifestyle can dramatically bolster your digital marketing campaigns. This is the best insight into what customers actually want and value.
Once the concept of psychographic targeting in digital marketing is understood the goal is to understand how to go about obtaining psychographic information.
There are two main methods of doing this, namely:
- Talk to existing clients – It’s always a best business practice to find out more information about your existing clients. Ask them questions and listen carefully to their answers. When you ask the right questions, you will find out what your client’s values, wants and needs are.
- Analyse website stats – Stats don’t lie so paying attention to your website stats is a great place to start revealing the actions customer’s actions.
So, in conclusion, understanding your target audience and designing your content around their psychographics will offer you the best ROI for your digital marketing campaigns.